You can change the date format used on your Newspack site by using WordPress’s built in options, or the theme’s ‘time ago’ functionality.
Changing the date format
To change the date format in WordPress, follow these steps:
- Navigate to WP Admin > Settings > General.
- Scroll down to the section labelled Date Format:
- Pick from one of the pre-defined formats, or select the Custom format and use PHP date formats to specify how you’d like your date to appear.
- Click Save Changes.
The date format you picked will be used on posts throughout your site.
Using the ‘time ago’ date format
The Newspack themes include an option to display a ‘time ago’ format for posts published within a specific range. Enabling this will switch recent posts from a fix date to a human-readable time ago format, ranging from seconds to days.
To enable the time ago format, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Customizer > Template Settings.
- Check the Use “time ago” date format option.
- Set a cut-off time for the ‘time ago’ format — by default, it will only apply this format to posts published in the last two weeks:
4. Click Publish.
The time ago date format will be applied to all posts newer than your cut-off date, using seconds, minutes, hours, then days:
Once posts are older than your cut-off date, they will use the date format you have set under WP Admin > Settings > General.
Theme Table of Contents