The Global Ad Placement can be used to place ads from Google Ad Manager in predefined locations throughout the site.
Pre-defined ad locations
The pre-defined ad locations in the Newspack Themes are:
Global: Above Header – places a banner ad fully above your theme’s header.
Global: Below Header – places a banner ad fully underneath the theme’s header, above the content and sidebar.
Global: Above Footer – places a banner ad fully above the theme’s footer, after the content and sidebar.
Sticky – places a banner ad in a container that sticks to the bottom of the viewport, and can be dismissed by the reader for the current page view. The size of the banner is restricted to a maximum height of 100px as specified in the AMP sticky ad specs. Note that if you assign this placement an ad unit with multiple possible sizes, only the smallest size will be used. If this slot isn’t filled, the sticky container won’t render.
Assigning an ad to a location
Once that’s complete, you can start assigning your ads by following these steps:
- Navigate to Dashboard > Newspack > Advertising.
- Click on the Global Settings tab:
- Toggle on a location were you would like the ad to display. For example, if you wanted an ad to display a banner ad above your site’s header on all pages, you would toggle on Global: Above Header.
- When an ad location is toggled on, an Ad Provider dropdown will appear, populated with services that you have already set up. Google Ad Manager is the only service support at the moment; once it’s selected, an Ad Unit option will also appear:
- Select one of your existing Ad Units to display it in this ad location. Your settings will be saved automatically.