Thirteen newsrooms in the Newspack program were awarded a total of more than $1 million as part of Facebook Journalism Program’s relief effort for local news due to Covid-19.
More than 200 newsrooms were awarded nearly $16 million, the social media giant announced today. Facebook is also giving $2.5 million to Report for America, a national organization that helps pay for reporters at 160 newsrooms.
More than 2,000 newsrooms applied for the support, which ranges from $25,000 to $100,000.
Among the overall stats in the news release by Facebook, half of the grant recipients are published by or for communities of color; slightly more than a third are non-profits; almost 80 percent are independently owned.
The Newspack participants who received grants were:
- Berkeleyside, $100,000
- CALMatters, $100,000
- Chicago Reporter, $100,000
- Sahan Journal*, $100,000
- Greenpointers, $100,000
- Carolina Public Press, $100,000
- Rivard Report*, $100,000
- VT Digger, $100,000
- MLK50: Justice Through Journalism, $72,420
- The parent of Daily Yonder, $40,000
- Washington City Paper, $40,000
- Wausau Pilot & Review*, $40,000
- The parent of BK Reader, $31,200
*site has been relaunched with Newspack